Because shame is such a pervasive emotion before and during recovery, I’m dedicating another post to this universally-challenging experience.
Here are some examples of shame messages you might remember from childhood:
• Am I wearing the right clothes?
• How come they live in a bigger house?
• My parents drive old cars. Wouldn’t I look cooler in a new one?
• Why do I go to public school instead of private school?
• Wouldn’t I be more attractive if I had blonde hair instead of brown hair?
Because shame starts early, it takes lots of disentangling . . .Continue reading...